How to Reset the BMW Service Light
Have you noticed that the BMW service light is still on after already taking care of the issue? Normally, when you take your BMW to an authorized service center for maintenance, the technicians will reset the service light, but if you’ve performed the maintenance yourself, follow the steps below on how to reset the BMW service light. Contact Tulley BMW of Nashua if you have any questions in Manchester or Lowell, MA.
Resetting the BMW Service Indicator Light
The service indicator light will display the number of miles or amount of time until the next required service interval. While the process will vary slightly depending on the model, trim, and model year of your BMW, here are the basic steps to reset the BMW service light so you know the next time service is due.
- Turn on the vehicle’s electrical systems but do not start the engine. Some models with push-button start will have you push the ignition three times in a row, some require it only once. Check your owner’s manual to be sure.
- Locate the small odometer button near the bottom left corner of the instrument panel.
- Press and hold it until the service message appears.
- Release the button, and press and hold it again until the message says “Reset?”.
- Release the button again, and press and hold it while the message says “Reset in Progress,” until the message says, “Reset Successful.”
- Turn the car off and then fully start it to make sure the light was successfully reset.
BMW Service Light vs. Warning Light
- The service light tells you when it’s time for regular maintenance, strictly based on the number of miles and amount of time since the last scheduled service was performed. The recommended service intervals can be found in your owner’s manual.
- Dashboard warning lights will turn on when a vehicle issue is detected, regardless of the number of miles or time since the last service.
How to Reset Dashboard Lights on BMW Models
The basic steps are similar to resetting the BMW service light, with a small difference:
- Follow steps 1 through 3 from the instructions above.
- Release the odometer button after the service message comes on.
- Press the button (without holding it down) until the menu comes to the warning light that you want to reset, whether that be the brake fluid light, oil service light, or any other warning light.
- Follow steps 4 and 5 from the instructions above, and repeat until all relevant warning lights have been successfully reset.
- Turn the car off and then fully start it to make sure all relevant lights were reset.
Rely on Tulley BMW of Nashua for Your Service Needs
When your BMW Is due for servicing, save on your next visit to your local authorized BMW service center with our rotating service specials! You can also turn to Tulley BMW of Nashua for more service tips and tricks to be better prepared on Westford roads. Learn how to clean your leather seats today.
Tulley BMW of Nashua
147 Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua, NH
Service: (603) 888-5050
BMW Value Service Oil Change